what you need
- 400g Three Aussie Farmers Shortcut bacon, finely diced
- 140g icing sugar, sifted
- 63g almond meal, sifted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites, room temp
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 drops red gel food colouring
- Piping bag
- Circular piping tip
Apple Pie Filling
- 1 apple, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. water
- 160g unsalted butter
- 240g icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp. thick cream
- 1 vanilla bean pod
how to make it
- In a large bowl combine the icing sugar, almond meal and salt. Mix until well combined or use a food processor to blitz for 10 – 15 secs. Make sure there are no clumps, set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually add in the caster sugar. Continue to whisk until stiff peaks are formed. Add in the vanilla extract and food colouring, then stir to combine.
- Add 1/3 of the dry icing sugar mixture to the meringue. Gently fold the mixture together with a spatula until combined. Repeat this process twice more until all the dry mixture is incorporated.
- IMPORTANT: Continue to fold the mixture together until the mixture falls off the spoon in ribbons and you can draw a figure 8 without the ribbon breaking.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag, then line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Pipe out macaron shells approx. 4 cm in diameter, spacing evenly as they will flatten during baking. Use a toothpick and pop any bubbles you see on the surface. Tap the tray on the kitchen bench to pop any other bubbles in the mixture or bring them to the surface for you to pop.
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 150OC.
- Let the macaron shells sit at room temp for 30 mins to 1 hr. They should feel dry to the touch without leaving any residue on your finger (let sit for longer if still tacky). Place in the oven for 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small fry-pan over high heat cook the bacon until crispy, then place on paper towel to drain.
- In a med saucepan, combine all apple pie filling ingredients over med heat, stirring constantly. Cook until the sugar has melted and coats the apples, then add the bacon and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Use a food mixer to combine all the cream filling ingredients with the seeds scraped out of the vanilla pod. Set mixer to low and cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Once well combined, transfer to the piping bag.
- Remove macarons from the oven and allow them to cool on the tray. They should come off the baking sheet cleanly.
- Take half a macaron shell and spoon ½ tsp. bacon apple filling onto the centre of the macaron. Next pipe the cream filling around the bacon apple filling and sandwich together with another macaron shell. Repeat this for the remaining shells and fillings.
- Serve and enjoy!
100% Aussie Bacon, rashers naturally smoked with Australian Mountain Ash.