what you need
- 1 Three Aussie Farmers Smoked Bacon Hock
- 1 ½ brown onion, sliced
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2L water
- 500g dried split peas, soaked in water overnight
- 300g frozen peas, thawed
how to make it
- In a large saucepan, cook onions in the butter until soft over high heat. Add in the hock and and water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hr 30 mins.
- Remove the hock and shred the meat. Place the hock meat into a bowl covered and refrigerate for later.
- Add in the dried split peas and peas into the saucepan. Cover and continue to simmer for another 1 hr 30 mins. Use a stick blender and blitz the soup until smooth. Add the hock meat into the soup and stir through for 5 mins to heat up.
- Serve and enjoy.
Our Bacon Hocks are great for adding a delicious wood smoked flavour to soups, stews and casseroles. Simple, hearty and perfect for those cold winter months.