what you need
- 2 Three Aussie Farmers Smoked Bacon Hocks
- 5 tsp. caraway seeds
- 2 tsp. juniper berries
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 brown onions, sliced
- 500g potatoes, sliced
- 4 apples, cored and quartered
- 4 bay leaves
- 800ml Guinness
how to make it
- Pre-heat fan forced oven to 180oC.
- Crush caraway seeds and juniper berries, using a mortar and pestle. Add the garlic and olive oil and mix thoroughly. Make slits on the rind of the hock, then rub half the mixture onto the hock. Take the time to rub deeply into the cuts. Place hock into a large roasting dish and cook for 30 mins.
- Take the hock out of the roast tray and remove any burnt garlic or spices stuck to the dish. Reduce oven to 160 oC fan forced.
- Spread the onions and celery out in the roasting dish. Add half the remaining spice mixture and toss to coat then layer the potatoes on top. Brush the remaining spice mixture over the potatoes, then place the apples and bay leaves on top.
- In a saucepan, heat the Guinness till hot but not boiling and pour over the vegetables. Place the hock on top and return to the oven to cook for 2 ½ hrs. Baste the hock a few times with the Guinness from the dish.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If there’s a lot of liquid left in the dish, strain into a saucepan and reduce by 1/3, then return to the vegetables and mix through.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.
Three Aussie Farmers Pulled Pork
We grow quality Aussie pork, and we’ve spent three generations getting it right. Give it a go, and help us keep Aussie pork on Aussie plates.