what you need
- 2 Three Aussie Farmers Wood Smoked Bacon Hocks
- 1 garlic head, halved
- 2 Tbsp. ginger, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chilli flakes
- 280g brown sugar
- 1.5 L chicken stock
- 150ml fish sauce
- 80ml light soy sauce
- 3 star anise
- 3 cardamon pods, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 300ml empty jar
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 200ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 125g unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
how to make it
- In a slow cooker, add the garlic head, 1 ½ Tbsp. ginger, 1 ½ Tbsp chili flakes, 30g brown sugar, chicken stock, 120ml fish sauce, light soy sauce, star anise, cardamon pods, and cinnamon sticks. Whisk together then add in bacon hocks and stir to coat.
- Cook on low for 8 hrs.
- Put cucumber pieces into a jar with garlic cloves and chilli. Pour in the rice wine vinegar and refrigerate to create a pickle.
- 5 mins before slow cooker is finished, prepare the peanut glaze. In a saucepan over high heat, add the remaining brown sugar and fish sauce. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the rest of the ginger, chilli flakes, ground cinnamon and peanuts. Ladle out 100ml of the braising liquid from the slow cooker and add into the saucepan. Continue to simmer until syrupy.
- Serve the wood smoked hocks with some of the braising liquid. Pour peanut glaze over the hocks and arrange pickled cucumber over the top.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Keep the braising liquid after cooking. Serve over rice or add in a hard boiled egg to make a delicious marinated egg.
- Try serving the hock meat in a bao bun with the satay sauce drizzled on top!
Three Aussie Farmers Pulled Pork
We grow quality Aussie pork, and we’ve spent three generations getting it right. Give it a go, and help us keep Aussie pork on Aussie plates.