what you need
- 1 Three Aussie Farmers Smoked Bacon Hock
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 brown onions, quartered
- 1 garlic head, peeled and crushed
- 2 carrots, thick slices
- 4L water
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 120ml olive oil
- 500g canned chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp. chilli flakes
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup kale, roughly chopped
- Pepper, to taste
how to make it
- In a large pot over high heat, brown the onions and garlic in the butter. Once browned add carrots and cook till softened.
- Add the water with the hock, salt, chickpeas, chilli flakes, cumin seeds, paprika and olive oil. Season with pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer over low heat. Stir occasionally. Cook for 1 hr or until chickpeas are soft. Add extra water as needed if the soup has reduced too much.
- Remove approx. 1/3 of the carrots, onions, chickpeas, garlic and stock – then put into a blender. Blend until smooth then pour back into the pot. Continue to cook for a further 20 mins stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, then submerge the kale into the soup. Remove the hock from the soup and tear the meat off the bone, add back into the soup. Stir through.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can blend all the vegetables up! Just remember to add more water to keep it from thickening.
Three Aussie Farmers Pulled Pork
We grow quality Aussie pork, and we’ve spent three generations getting it right. Give it a go, and help us keep Aussie pork on Aussie plates.